Neuromodulators are a simple and safe procedure used to temporarily reduce wrinkles that takes only a few minutes and requires no recovery time.
Botulinum toxin type A is an injectable neurotoxin, better known under brand names such as Botox Cosmetic®, Dysport®, and Xeomin®. Neurotoxin treatments are the most popular single cosmetic procedure in the U.S. and are mainly used to smooth dynamic wrinkles, or those wrinkles that form as a result of facial movements like frowning, squinting, smiling, and other expressions we tend to make day after day. Treatment works by blocking nerve impulses to the muscles, causing them to relax. As a result, your expressions soften and the dynamic wrinkles are greatly reduced.
Botox-type injectables can help an adult patient of any age improve his or her appearance, not only imparting a more youthful look, but also alleviating an overly concerned look, helping you look better refreshed or even more pleasant. The most commonly treated areas are those where muscle activity influences facial features, such as the following:
- Glabellar lines (a.k.a. “elevens” or frown lines)
- Wrinkles around the eyes, such as crow’s feet
- Forehead creases
- Corners of the mouth
- A “cobblestoned” appearance to the chin
Specialty Neurotoxin Use:
- Migraine management
- Lip Flip
Neuromodulator/Neurotoxin Care Instructions
- Avoid anticoagulants, if possible, for a period of 2 weeks before treatment.
- Medications and supplements such as aspirin, vitamin E, ginkgo biloba, ginseng, St. John’s Wort, Omega 3/Fish Oil supplements, Ibuprofen, Motrin, Advil, Aleve and other NSAIDS have a blood thinning effect and can increase the risk of bruising and swelling after injections.
- Do NOT consume alcoholic beverages for 24 hours prior to treatment (alcohol may thin the blood and increase the risk of bruising)
- Schedule your appointment at least 2 weeks prior to a special event which you may be attending, such as a wedding or a vacation.
- Results can take 4 to 7 days to appear and both bruising and swelling may be apparent during that time period.
- Discontinue Retinol products 2 days before and 2 days after treatment.
- Reschedule your appointment at least 24 hours in advance if you have a rash, cold sore or blemish on the area.
- If you have a history of cold sores please let your provider know, they may put you on an antiviral medication prior to treatment.
- Be sure to have a good breakfast, including food and drink before your procedure as this will decrease the chances of lightheadedness during your treatment.
- You are NOT a candidate if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Post-Treatment Instructions: (Botox/Dysport/Xeomin/Jeauveau)
- Do NOT manipulate the treated area for 3 hours following treatment.
- Do NOT receive facial or laser treatments after injections for at least 10 days. Ask your provider if you are not sure about the time frame of certain services.
- Some providers believe that smiling and frowning right after Botox treatments helps the Botox find its way to the muscle into which it was injected after treated. We approve of this here at RPS.
- Do NOT allow your head to pass your heart level (laying flat) for 4 hours after your Botox treatment. This will prevent the Botox from tracking into the orbit of your eye and causing a drooping eyelid.
- It can take approximately 4 to 7 days for results to be seen. If the desired result is not seen within 2 weeks of your treatment you may need additional Botox. Please schedule a 2 week follow up appointment after all treatments.
- You are charged for the treatment locations on your initial visit, thus if you return for your standard 2 week follow up, you will not be charged for additional product use. If you return for a touch up after that time, you will be charged for additional product use for any touch-up or subsequent appointments.
- Do NOT perform activities involving straining, heavy lifting, or vigorous exercise for 6 hours after treatment. This will keep the Botox in the injected area and avoid migration elsewhere.
Schedule My Consultation
If you’re ready to schedule your neuromodulator/neurotoxin procedure or simply want to learn more, our doctors can give you the answers and reassurance you need to make the decision that’s right for you. To schedule your private consultation, call 212-628-7300.