Intense Pulsed Light
AKA “the photofacial”: An IPL treatment uses the power of broadband light to improve the appearance of sunspots, skin texture and much more.
Intense pulsed light (IPL) therapy is a way to improve the color and texture of your skin without surgery. It can undo some of the visible damage caused by sun exposure, called photoaging. You may notice it mostly on your face, neck, hands, or chest. IPL may help if you have red, brown, or splotchy skin because of a health condition.
How It Works: IPL uses light energy to target a certain color in your skin. When the skin is heated, your body gets rid of the unwanted cells, and that gets rid of the thing you’re being treated for. Unlike lasers, an IPL device sends out more than one wavelength of pulsating light thus it can treat a range of skin conditions at the same time.
After IPL, you may look younger because your skin tone is more even. And since the light doesn’t hurt other tissue, you can get better quickly.
It works best if you have pale or light brown skin and if you want to lessen or get rid of:
- Broken blood vessels
- Brown spots, also known as liver or age spots
- Dark spots from hormonal changes
- Discolored skin
- Fine wrinkles
- Redness from Rosacea
- Spider veins
- You can not treat over: tattoos, permanent makeup or your lips.
- If hair-bearing areas are planned to be treated please note that the risk of hair loss (temporary or permanent) may occur.
- Leg veins are not a recommended treatment area as they often have deep feeder vessels that will only respond temporarily and may have an increased risk of blistering.
Treatment Schedule: varies between 3-5 sessions every 3-4 weeks with maintenance treatments every 4-6 months depending on individual variability. To note: vascular lesions typically require more treatment sessions than pigmented lesions.
- NO tanning for 3 weeks prior to treatment
- NO Retinol products for 3 days before the treatment
- NO anticoagulant use (Motrin/Ibuprofen, Aleve, aspirin, etc.) 7 days before procedure. *speak with your healthcare provider about this and the appropriate care for your medical conditions.
- PLEASE shave all hair from treatment zones prior to procedure
- Apply SPF 30+ sunblock to all treatment zones for 3 weeks following procedure
- Moisturizer and makeup may be applied directly following the procedure if the skin is intact.
Schedule My Consultation
If you’re ready to schedule your IPL procedure or simply want to learn more about the procedure, our doctors can give you the answers and reassurance you need to make the decision that’s right for you. To schedule your private consultation, call 212-628-7300.