Fillers and Volume Enhancement
As we age, our skin, the largest organ in our body, loses some of the naturally occurring proteins and acids that help to retain moisture in our skin. This is how wrinkles form. Through our procedures using FDA approved products, we can help smooth out the wrinkles and lines that occur from the aging process and other factors. The results are a return to the natural beauty that we cherish from our youth.
While dermal fillers are casually known as “wrinkle fillers,” they can do much more than just smooth out wrinkles, although they are excellent at this too! Here are a few of the common issues dermal fillers can help address:
- Smooth out lines around nose and mouth (a.k.a. marionette lines, smile lines, and parentheses)
- Enhance & restore volume to sunken cheeks or temples
- Diminish vertical lip lines
- Plump & enhance the lips
- Smooth out a chin crease
- Improve symmetry among facial features
Dermal fillers are gel-like substances that are injected beneath the skin to restore lost volume, smooth lines and soften creases, or enhance facial contours. More than 1 million men and women annually choose this popular facial rejuvenation treatment, which can be a cost-effective way to look younger without surgery or downtime.
Depending on your choice of filler, they can be made from:
- Hyaluronic acid (Juvederm, Restalyne, Belotero)
- Calcium hydroxyapatite (Radiesse)
- Poly L-lactic Acid (Sculptra)
- Polymethlmethacrylate (Bellafill)
- Autologous fat injections
Dermal Fillers Care Instruction
- Avoid anticoagulants, if possible, for a period of 2 weeks before treatment.
- Medications and supplements such as aspirin, vitamin E, ginkgo biloba, ginseng, St. John’s Wort, Omega 3/Fish Oil supplements, Ibuprofen, Motrin, Advil, Aleve and other NSAIDS have a blood thinning effect and can increase the risk of bruising and swelling after injections.
- Do NOT consume alcoholic beverages for 24 hours prior to treatment (alcohol may thin the blood and increase the risk of bruising)
- Schedule your Neuromodulator appointment at least 2 weeks prior to a special event which you may be attending, such as a wedding or a vacation.
- Results can take 4 to 7 days to appear and both bruising and swelling may be apparent during that time period.
- Discontinue Retinol products 2 days before and 2 days after treatment.
- Reschedule your appointment at least 24 hours in advance if you have a rash, cold sore or blemish on the area.
- If you have a history of cold sores please let your provider know, they may put you on an anti-viral medication prior to treatment.
- Be sure to have a good breakfast, including food and drink before your procedure as this will decrease the chances of lightheadedness during your treatment.
- You are NOT a candidate if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Avoid significant massage of the treated area unless specifically instructed by the provider.
- Avoid strenuous exercise for 24 hours.
- Avoid extensive sun or heat for 72 hours.
- Avoid consuming excess amounts of alcohol or salts to avoid excess swelling.
- If you have swelling you may apply a cool compress for 20 minutes each hour.
- Use Tylenol for discomfort.
- Try to sleep face up (on your back) and with your head slightly elevated if you experience swelling.
- Take Arnica Montana 30x oral supplements to help with reduction of bruising and swelling.
- You may use oral Arnica 2 days prior to injections to help prevent bruising and continue until bruising has ceased. Dosing depends on product purchased, however typical dosing is 30X strength; take 4 tablets every 4 hours while awake.
Schedule My Consultation
If you’re ready to schedule your filler/volume enhancement procedure or simply want to learn more about the procedures, our doctors can give you the answers and reassurance you need to make the decision that’s right for you. To schedule your private consultation, call 212-628-7300.