A thread lift is a type of procedure wherein temporary sutures are used to produce a subtle but visible “lift” in the skin. Instead of removing the patient’s loose facial skin surgically, the cosmetic surgeon simply suspends it by stitching up portions of it. This has the effect of pulling the skin back slightly and therefore lifting and tightening the face.
In addition to being ideal for lifting the skin, threads combat aging in another way: by provoking the body’s “healing response” and causing the body to direct large surges of collagen to treated areas. This is important because of the vital role collagen plays in the aging process.
Thread Lift Care Instructions
Pre-Thread Lift Instructions:
- Do NOT use aspirin, Motrin, Advil, ibuprofen, Vitamin E, gingko biloba, fish oil, St. John’s Wort, garlic pills, or other anti-inflammatory medications for 1-2 weeks (if okay with your primary care physician) as they can increase the risk of bruising. For mild pain or headaches Tylenol is preferred.
- You may have some bruising/swelling after the procedure. Over the counter Arnica supplements (available for sale at Rowe Plastic Surgery, most supplement stores, Whole Foods, Amazon, etc.) have been shown to decrease bruising if you want to take them starting 3 days before your treatment and for 2 weeks following your treatment.
- DO inform your nurse or physician if you have a history of medication allergies, history of anaphylaxis, and any other medical problems.
- The ideal time to schedule this procedure is at LEAST 3 weeks before a big event.
Post-Thread Lift Instructions:
- After the treatment, DO NOT massage areas where the threads are placed unless instructed.
- Treated areas may be slightly red, swollen, slightly irregular and bruised for the first 2-5 days.
- DO NOT get a facial or massage in treatment areas for 2 weeks after your procedure.
- Avoid strenuous workouts and alcohol for 24 hours if possible.
- DO massage small treated areas ONLY if you notice slight puckering or irregularity in an area if instructed by your provider.
- If bruising occurs, continue Arnica supplements or apply topical Arnica gel, drink fresh pineapple juice, and/or take Bromelain supplements to help bruising resolve faster.
- DO NOT undergo dental procedures for 3-4 weeks if procedures were performed around the mouth.
- DO call the office if you notice any threads extruding from the skin
Schedule My Consultation
If you’re ready to schedule your thread lift or simply want to learn more about the procedure, our doctors can give you the answers and reassurance you need to make the decision that’s right for you. To schedule your private consultation, call 212-628-7300.